Skip to main content

Week 10 Reflection

 This week, I focused pretty heavily on Activism & Citizenship. One thing is abundantly clear to me: teaching digital literacy skills and incorporating Web2.0 tools into lessons is a sure-fire way to get learners engaged and possibly more involved in digital activism. 

I found the #Eduresistance article to be particularly intriguing. The article made some great points about social media's ability to amplify marginalized voices, disseminate information at a rapid pace, and provide the energy to get people active within their communities. I have experienced this in my own life by following communities of action in Tallahassee, such as Tallahassee Action Community and Food Not Bombs. Seeing the events these organizations put on via social media gives me the opportunity to participate in-person as well as online by sharing links for community aid and protests happening around the city. 

I also appreciated the limits that the article pointed out. There is a certain amount of surveillance that comes with social media that can be dangerous in times of political unrest. I think many teachers in the secondary world, particularly those in Florida, are a bit scared to use words like "activism" with their students as the political climate in Florida politics and education is quite sticky right now. We're facing book bans and disgruntled parents at every turn while losing more funding constantly. Stirring the pot feels like something that can only make things worse, and using social media can be a touchy subject on its own. There is also the matter of the digital divide: many students do not have access to the same technologies and programs. 

Overall, digital literacy is a skill that every student needs to develop for a multitude of reasons. We live in a digital world, and there are few spaces where it will not be relevant to an individual's daily life. I also think it is important to empower secondary students to be activists: everyone should be able to participate in the political climate and stand for what they believe in. Although it can be tricky to navigate in today's world, I think it is worth doing and essential to kiddos growing into their own. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts from Middle Schoolers

  How do middle school students see technology as affecting their education and lives?  This week I decided to sit down and have some conversations with my students before releasing them for the summer. I asked them specifically how they felt technology had influenced their education and social lives. These were some of the responses I got, paraphrased from the general Gen Z vernacular: "I think that technology can be cool, but it can also be repetitive. Some teachers do the same things over and over, which gets old."  'I wish I could only be on my Chromebook all the time. It's more fun than anything else in class."  "I don't want technology to take over my life. I think the 90s were cool, people talked to each other more." "Okay, but I talk to people all the time, just on my phone."  "My chromebook helps me learn, I don't like doing book work because it is boring,"  "I like book work, I can understand it better."  ...

The Effects of Social Media in the Classroom

  Link to Article This week I found an interesting article on the effects social media can have on student academics. The study uses a mixed methodology of interviews, literature reviews, and data analysis of found patterns.  Overall, this article found that social media has an overall negative effect on student's grades, focus, attention span, and classroom behavior.  HOWEVER.  I find that the educators and students identified and analyzed in this article are rooted in extremely traditional educational values and rules. I think it is rather obvious that social media would not be beneficial to the traditional classroom. These methods are generally rooted in lecture, work, and assessment, with little room for choice outside of what the teacher leads. Social media does not have to "undermine learning" in high school classrooms.  The world has changed so much in the last 10 years alone. I graduated from high school in 2013, and we were just getting to the point whe...

Week 11 Reflection

 This week, the majority of my energy went towards my produsage assignment. For my project, I chose to focus on something that I can use at the middle school where I work: a lesson on literary analysis. This is a concept that can be difficult to teach, especially when you have students who hate reading. The traditional "assign a story and answer questions about it" is not engaging to this generation of students. Asking them to read independently can be like pulling teeth, depending on the class.  My project was created with the goal of combining traditional reading, writing, and analysis skills with the engagement of social media. Analysis can happen in so many forms, so I thought sites like TikTok, Instagram, and Facebook would serve as great mediums for showcasing their analysis. It gives them a choice in how they would like to present their analysis: they could create a TikTok from the perspective of a character, create a moodboard on Pinterest that reflects the theme of t...